Expressive Textural Florals
Learn how to create large expressive flower paintings incorporating gestural brushstrokes and textural effects for a dynamic painting. Tracy will show you how to paint loose gestural brushstrokes to create energy and movement in your work in this fun 2 day workshop.
You will learn how to layer acrylic from thin poured and scraped washes to thick textured sweeping brushstrokes and mark making with oil pastels and oil sticks. We will look at how to come up with a great composition and colour scheme and use a variety of different tools and mediums to create three dimensional effects in your artwork.
You will learn how to lay down values quickly to create an artwork that pops, as well as learning tricks for interesting mark making and creating stunning flower centres.
- Creating interesting grounds with layers of acrylics
- Painting loose gestural brushstrokes
- Adding textural effects to your painting
- Using a variety of tools for different effects
- Mark making with oil pastels/oil sticks and other tools
- Creating a good colour scheme
- Creating an effective composition
You will need the following items (which can be purchased in class):
Your canvas can be purchased in class when the composition and orientation is determined. Students will be required to bring acrylic paints and their own brushes and palette.
- A3 Canvas Paper Pad
- Acrylic paints in your favourite colours + white in heavy bodied acrylics (i.e. Matisse Structure) – pots are more useful than tubes.
- Some pouring/high flow acrylics – the darkest colour for your colour scheme and your favourite/feature colour are the most useful.
- Pastels in your favourite colours
- Some large flat mottler brushes (approx. 4cm and 6cm wide good) taklon and or hogs hair is good.
- Some larger hogs hair brushes (Brights and Rounds)
- A few foam brushes (we will cut these in class into different shapes)
- Packet of Baby Wipes (not available for purchase in class – please bring these with you)
Suggestions will be made for some brushes/tools to purchase to achieve different effects.
REGISTER YOUR INTEREST:
Next course date doesn't work for you?
Register your interest to be notified of future course dates. You will be added to our mailing list and will receive emails about future dates.