Jo Sonja’s Water-Based Polyurethane Varnish – Satin Finish
Polyurethane provides the toughest finish available. This varnish has excellent brushing qualities and may be used inside or out to provide maximum, long term protection. These varnishes dry clear and are non-yellowing. They have excellent corrosion, chemical, scratch and wear resistance.
Varnishing is a fundamental step in the painting process and will protect your acrylic painting project from pollutants found in the air. Made from polyurethane, it is hardwearing and suitable for indoor or outdoor projects.
It is water based and can be cleaned up with water. Apply with a broad flat brush or a sponge roller. Do not use over oil-based paints or oil-based antiquing finishes. Do not add water. For use on hard surfaces such as wood and board.
- Gently shake before use to ensure complete suspension of ingredients.
- Apply varnish using a large, soft bristled varnish brush with a gentle criss cross motion. Apply thin coats, covering a small section at a time. Smooth out the strokes by brushing in the same direction as the wood grain. (Several thin coats are better than one thick coat.)
- Allow at least 1 hour between coats, as there will be less “drag” on the brush. Do not exceed 4 coats per day.
A slight milky appearance may occur when applying Jo Sonja’s Satin Varnish. This is normal and is more obvious on dark backgrounds. The milkiness should disappear as the varnish dries and cures. Sand lightly if 24 hours lapse between coats to ensure good adhesion. Apply at least 4 coats for maximum protection.
As with most water based finishes, you can handle painted objects when they are dry to the touch, but maximum durability is not achieved until varnish reaches its cure time (at least 2 weeks under normal conditions).
- Dries clear to a satin finish
- Provides long term protection
- Clean up with soap and water
- Approximate coverage: 1ml = 251 cm2